Saturday, November 15, 2008

A tribute to Riley....




"Our" beloved dog Riley passed away today. I say "our" dog because I gave him to Wes as a Christmas gift back in 1997, but Wes was a sophmore in college and apartment life wasn't ideal for a yellow lab, though it was attempted. So, my in-laws inherited Riley and he never left there. They weren't crazy about keeping Riley at first, but after a few months, I knew we would never ask for him back. He was just that kind of dog... we all loved him. In his prime, Riley LOVED to play fetch, enjoyed boat rides at the lake, and thought it was a treat to get to ride into town on the back of the truck... he slobbered the whole way there and back as his head hung over the side. I remember throwing sticks in the tank and he would run... jump... swim to get the stick and then back on the bank he'd shower us with water as he shook off. Over the last year or two Riley really slowed down and a belly rub is all it took to make his day. Oh how I wish I would have given him more belly rubs. Unfortunetely Riley has not ranked very high on Avery and Austin's list these last few months (they use to love him)... they claim to be scared of him... so Riley hasn't been around us much when we have gone over to visit. We have discussed getting a dog of our own, but I have always been hesitant because I think we'll always try to compare the new puppy to Riley and I don't think any other dog would live up to those expectations. We will miss you, Riley!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember when you got him...Sammie (our yellow lab was only a year) at that time. I used to bring her out the fields to fetch balls. Then Shannon Wood brought out her little dachshund and she bit Sammie on the nose which left a scar. Sammie died in April. :( Your post brought back tears. Of course Sammie lived with us...so the girls talk about Sammie being in heaven all the time. Now we have Daisy...and let me tell you, the puppy years are like having a baby all over again. As a parent you forget how much work they are when they are so little!