Sunday, April 10, 2011

Blue Bell Fun Run














Yes we did.... we all did! Our party of five signed up for the Blue Bell Fun Run and we have the t-shirts to show for it. The morning was a bit hectic and we had to bring along extra help to make it through the morning, but we did it. A&A&C ran at 8am and they were excited until right before the run when it got really crowded at the race start line. When the horn blew, Austin jetted off by himself, Avery insisted I go with her and Wes hung tight with Caleb. Avery and I (holding hands most the run) caught up with Austin about half way into it and he stayed with us until the last down hill to the finish line when he sped up and finished strong. Avery and I shortly followed and Caleb and Wes trailed in a few minutes later. They were awarded with a medal when they crossed the finish line and more importantly could eat all the ice cream they wanted.

I barely made it to the start of my run due to confusion of getting all the kids to the right spot with Popo, but at 8:30am I started my 10K. It was a tough run for me and I didn't have quite as good of a time as I'd have liked, but in the end I finished and was glad to say I had done it. My actual highlight of the morning was having Wes join in the event. He signed up for the 5K and as expected, finished with a very respectable time, faster than I've ever (or will ever) run 3miles. I was a little bummed that I couldn't see him as he crossed the finish line, but they kids were there to cheer him on. I enjoy running and have participated in a few of these kinds of runs but Wes has never really had an interest so it was cool to have him there. It was also pretty cool to have my mom and dad particpate in the 5k. Well, actually thanks to mother natures call, mom wound up hanging with the kids for potty patrol and missed the start of the 5K. She assures me when went to the gym and walked her 3 miles later that afternoon. My dad came across the finish line with a respectable time for a 57 year old. He's pretty darn awesome!!

I'm pretty darn proud of our party of five and our performance at the BBFR. I have a feeling we'll all be back next year.

No comments: