Saturday, November 6, 2010

Deer hunting...

After getting off a deer lease two years ago, Wes is back on a lease and has a place to escape during deer season. He left for opening weekend on Friday, and so far no kill to report. There was a time I wasn't so crazy about his deer hunting weekends.... the long drive, packing up, bow and arrows, no scent spray, gun.... all to "maybe" shoot a deer. I admit I still don't understand sitting in a wood box in frigid cold, luring animals with food just to shoot them, nor do I understand the "thrill of the kill." But, I do understand that hunting is something Wes enjoys doing, takes pride in, and gives him a little "me" time. One other perk is it puts meat in the freezer.
I remember when I was pregnant and we found out we were having a boy and a girl, one of my first thoughts was "Wes has his hunting buddy and I have a shopping partner (I got a shopping diva!)." When Caleb came along, Wes gained one more hunter - one shopping partner is all I need!
This year, Austin will be able to tag along a few weekends with Wes. Austin is SOOO excited and I'm pretty sure Wes is too. Every night, they look at the calendar and count down the days until they leave. They are going w/ Kade & Dane Rau next week. For the boys sake, I hope they see lots of deer and shoot something. Austin will likely put on camo all week long and I will find tons of acorns in the washing machines, the ones he is saving for the deer. Thats ok, the excitment in his eyes when he talks about those deer makes it all worth it.

No comments: