Thursday, May 26, 2011

Feel good mommy moment

This post contains both a 'true confession' & 'feel good mommy moment'. You see, this morning I stopped to get breakfast on the way to school. The donut store on the way in makes this so easy and convenient (yes, it's a drive thru!) even though I know it's not the healthiest way for the kids to start the day. They all had raisin bran cereal yesterday so I get a little credit, right? Back to the donut stop, Austin & Caleb opted for pigs in a blanket and Avery chose donut holes. Not sure why she always chooses this when she usually only eats 1 or 2 of her half dozen order. Anyway, we get our food and are off on the way to school. Austin downs his buttery pig in a blanket and Caleb hands his off to me with about 2 bites left. A block from schoool, Avery hands me her bag of nonnutritious sugary dough and claims she's done. 5 holes remained untouched in the bag. Caleb sees this and asks for Avery's left over donut holes and the same request follows from Austin. My dilema was that we were just a minute from school and I just couldn't let the boys get out with donut holes after the note that went home from school at the beginning of the year encouraging a healthy well-rounded breakfast and specifically discouraging donuts. So what did I do, what every mother would do of course.... I handed the boys 2 donut holes each and kept driving until they finished. That was the true confession.
So as we are adding on a little distance to our route to school, even though I am already late for work, I drive by two homes where people we know live. As I drive by the first home, I say "that is where 'Sarah's' grandma lives". Kids seemed impressed and got all excited. Next house I say "That is where 'Luke' lives. He's on Ocean Treasure too." Avery questioned, "Mom, how do you know all of that!?!" My dear sweet Austin replies "Because Mommy knows everything!" I knew that boy was a genious! Wonder if he will still be saying that when he turns 16?

No comments: