Monday, May 16, 2011

Livin' off the land

Should something happen and we are stranded at home for a while, we should survive for a few days, make that weeks. We have been pretty self sufficient around here. We've had the garden for veggies for a few years and our new adventure is chicken for eggs. We don't necessarily have that "living off the land' mentality, but it is nice to grow something that produces food and then eat it knowing exactly where it came from. When you add in Wes's love to fish and hunt which fills our freezer with fish and deer meat, we have quite the stock pile.

This is quite comical in the fact that never in a million years when I was growing up would I have said I would to be living in the country picking chicken eggs and handing out veggies. No way! I dreamed of life in the city... I wasn't much for getting my hands dirty. I still don't really like it and that is why most of this credit goes to Wes and his love of the outdoors. Pictures below are from a few nights ago when the potatoes needed to be dug. We made it a family affair! This year in addition to the potatoes we have onions, corn, green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, butternut squash, bell peppers, jalepenos, and tomatoes. Yum!














































No comments: