Thursday, September 22, 2011

I AM A SOCCER MOM....

So I admit I have been excited for this day to come, the day of running to and fro from activity to activity, trying to keep up with who is going where and figuring out how we are going to get them there.  Growing up, my parents kept my brother and I very involved, mostly in sports, but involved none the less and that is something I have always seen myself repeating as a parent.  Fortunately, Wes is on board with that for the most part.  Though I love my home, I am not a home body and don't feel I need to stay home to take care of chores I will only repeat three days later.  Besides, if we are away from home it should be less dirty, right? 
Well, we are getting a true taste of being "involved" this week.  Monday started with Avery's soccer game.  Tuesday Austin had soccer pictures and Wes had a church council meeting.  Wednesday Avery had gymnastics (it was my week to car pool 3 giggly Kindergarteners), soccer pictures and I had an after work meeting.  Thursday Austin had a soccer game and we are gearing up for 4 birthday parties on Saturday and cheer camp for Avery on Sunday.  Truth is, next week looks pretty much the same if not worse, but we can handle it.  I hope I can say the same when Caleb gets "involved".
I hope to never be one of those moms that drives my kids to do things they don't want to do.  What I do want to do is expose our kids to a variety of activities to help them find things they are good at and teach them life skills such as team work, determination and courage.  I want them to have the chance to make new friends outside of a school setting, set personal goals, and look back at their childhood and feel they were given every opportunity they could possibly be given to learn new things.  I'm sure there will be many trials and tribulations along the way, but I know there will also be lots of laughter and memories to share.
So, yes, for now I will be enjoying my roll as a soccer mom.  We'll see if I am saying the same thing by the time tball season rolls around. 

2 comments:

October Smith said...

Oh yes...this is the start of it! Syd has 3 dance classes per week. Stacey decided she did not like dance :(, so we shuffle her to gymnastics after dance. They have piano on Saturdays (kills the weekend), but luckily we have this young girl who comes to our house and is FABULOUS! Then we have scouts once a month (and I am the leader). I have inquired about 4H but it overlaps by 30 minutes with dance. Not sure how all that is going to work out. On top of ALL of that...I am gone every other week and Wade has to do it by himself! :)

The Schramm Clan said...

:) Jamie your post me smile big! It is great to enjoy and "do" all these activities with our kids.

FYI---Kennedy has told me 3 times over the past couple of days that we need 3 babies...avery, austin, and caleb have 3.