Sunday, March 7, 2010

Half marathon

If you are looking for an interesting post about the kids, this is not it. This one is about ME! This morning I accomplished something I've wanted to do for some time now - I completed a half marathon... all 13.1 miles! I have run a few before, all before kids. In fact in 2002, a few months after Wes & I got married, I ran a full marathon. It's not for everyone and I don't know that I have the desire to ever run a full again, but the half is an accomplishment I am proud of. I ran a 1hour 53minute & 43 second race, under my 2 hour goal ... finished 5th in my age group (30-34 females) and if you do the math, that is a 8:39/hr pace. This was much better than I have run in "training", but having lots of people around me helped me pick up my pace. It was a great morning for running - cool, not cold, and most important - no wind.
When most people find out that I enjoy running, they ask "WHY?" Not real sure that I know the answer, but truth is I am not really "good" at anything else and running gives me some "me time", something I feel ALL mommies need. The next question is "How do you do it with 3 kids, a home, and a full time job?" Well, my answer to that is I make it happen. Wes often times picks the kids up during the week so that I can run after work and on the weekends I try to get up early and get a run in and get back home before the fam even wakes up. There are times it takes me away from the kids and mommy duties, but truth is, when I get to run, I feel better about myself. When I feel better about myself, I am a better wife and mommy. When I get my "me" time,I am ready to give 100% to my family.... of course running 5 miles makes me feel a little less guilty when indulguing in birthday cake as well.
Now that my half marathon is over, I don't have my sights set on any other long runs any timje soon, maybe just a 10K. I do hope to refocus an dkeep working out but do some strength training to tone up. Summer is right around the corner and we have a number of "swimsuit required" events scheduled.