Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tough question

Last night as we were about to take baths, I found Avery in the hallway looking at her Rhyme Bible. This was a gift that the kids got from the church when they turned 3. We've been reading out of it quite a bit lately before bed, especially the Easter story of Jesus dying on the cross. Last night as I was walking through the hallway I saw Avery on the page that showed a picture of Jesus nailed to the cross and Avery looked up at me and said "Mama, when am I going to die?" Talk about being taken back. I didn't know how to respond. Before I could think of an answer, she said "When I am old?" All I could think to say was, "I hope so."
As I walked down the hall, I thought how ironic that Avery would ask this question on the same day that baby Layla Grace passed away. For those of you who may not have been following her story and the familiy's tremendous faith, it can be found at www.laylagrace.org. Her story has touched the lives of millions of people, including mine. When you look at what their family has been going through, it really makes you take a step back and realize what is important in life. It makes me ashamed of some of the things I "worry" about. It makes me ashamed of wanting things I don't have when the truth is I have SO much. I have my faith in God and a wonderful family - including a loving husband and 3 healthy children. I get to hear their laughter everyday and together we have the opportunity to live life to it's fullest.

No comments: