Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Grandpa Pete is 98!!



Sunday we celebrated a very special birthday with a very special man, Grandpa Pete.  Grandpa Pete turned 98 and he doesn't look a day over 85 :)  The entire family went to church with Grandpa, a church that brings back such great memories of my grandmother.  The church is very informal, everyone feels welcome and their love for Christ and each other is evident.  Before every service, they have anyone who has a birthday coming up that week stand at the front of the church and the congreagation sings "Happy Birthday" to them.  There were several with birthdays this week and when they got around to Grandpa Pete to ask how old he was going to be, his response was "a century minus two!"  Then one by one, the entire congregation stood to applaud him.  It brought tears to my eyes because I knew they weren't applauding an age, they were applauding the man.  Grandpa Pete is one of the most honest, loving, Christian men you will ever meet.  
Caleb(3), Austin (5), Grandpa Pete (98), Avery (5)
We decided not to put 98 candles on the cake this year!
Grandpa's cow cake made by my cousin Jennifer

We celebrated with lunch at Grandpa's house, the one where he still lives alone.  He's still getting around at 98!  He drives to church... though I'd hate to be driving behind him if I were in a hurry.  He goes to the farm daily with my Uncle Jimmie to give his expertise in how things should be done.  He even helped cooked his own birthday meal.  I hope I got some of his genes! 


No comments: