Monday, October 17, 2011

Can't believe I've left out the chickens....

Since this blog is the kids' scrapbook, I try to make sure and talk about key things that the kids are involved in, places we go, as well as things that are a part of their everyday childhood.  With that in mind, I am quite surprised that I have failed to blog about our family of chickens.  I've thought about it, but the follow through was obviously poor.  Sooooo.... here goes.
Early last spring, Wes came home with 4 chickens.  If I remember correctly, all but 1 wound up being a rooster and boy did those roosters make great soups, seriously.  The roosters were a little mean and their obnoxious and off key cockadoodledoing was more than we could take.  With just one hen left behind, Wes decided to order chicken eggs off the internet.  I was blown away by the thought of eggs being delievered in the mail.  Well, it happened and after a few weeks in an incubator, we had 15 baby chicks... yes 15.... this was the minimum egg order. 
I'll fast forward a few months....
The playscape is multifunctional now, a kids play haven and a chicken coop.


We have a variety of chicken types and I won't even begin to pretend that I know what they are.  They aren't "tame", but they've gotten pretty comfortable around us.  We may not have a dog, but with the chicken's we have a place for our dinner scraps. 
 4 boxes for the chickens to lay their eggs. 
 We are picking anywhere from 9 -15 eggs a day. 
Not sure this picture shows it very well, but two of the chickens lay green eggs, they are a very light shade, but green none the less. 

So scrambled, over easy, hard boiled, or sunny side up, we have all the eggs we need, plus 12 dozen more.  Good thing the kids like to eat omelets.  Let us know if you'd like a few dozen.  We'll make you a good deal and maybe throw in a chicken with your order.

1 comment:

The Schramm Clan said...

too funny!! we just got 100 eggs from dad...we eat lots of eggs too. kennedy and I like them hard-boiled for wk day breakfast!