Saturday, October 22, 2011

Polo anyone???

I may have mentioned it before, but a few months ago, I was asked to be a board member of the local Boys & Girls Club.  So far it has been very rewarding.  One of the top priorities of the board is fund raising and this year, through a connection of one of the board members, a benefit polo match was held for annual and potential donors.  The thing that totally amazes me about this is that this match was held essentially in Brenham's backyard.  How many of you Brenhamites that are reading this knew that there is a polo field in Brenham?  Well, technically, it is not it in Brenham, but it is in Washington County, off of FM332/Oil Field Road at Pegasus Ranch.
This is the "main house" on the property.  Talk about amazing!!!  In addition, the grounds include a horse stable that holds up to 30 horses, the polo field 300 yards X 160 yards), several ponds, a two story gazebo and 6 miles of concrete drive.  Yes, it is equivalent to a fairytale. 


I knew absolutely nothing about polo before today and was educated a bit about the sport as the morning progressed. The game consists of six 7-minute chuckers. After each chuckers, the players switch out horses. After three chuckers, it is half time and time to stomp the divots.



At the end of the game, the crowd was treated to a great BBQ picnic.  Talk about a great way to start a Saturday morning!  We were excited to get to share this event with the kids and we were excited to hear that the owners of the ranch are interested in making this an annual event.  Sounds good to me!

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Thanks for posting these. I've gots some shots of your kids playing with the foot mallets. I'll send them to you when I get them on the computer. I'm slower at getting them on there!